- No Annual Fee
- 1.99% Balance Transfer Option
- American Express Invites®
- Low 8.99% APR
- Build your credit with monthly reporting to all 3 major credit bureaus
- Only available to Canadian residents
- No bankruptcies in last 7 years
Apply Now Everybody knows that American Express has some of the best credit cards out there, but I think you’ll really like this new card they’ve just put out. It’s called American Express Essential and I’ve just had a chance to check it out. Let’s get into the review of this brand new card from AMEX.
Who This Card Is Designed For
Before I get into all of the features this card offers, let’s talk about what type of consumer would be a good fit for the AMEX Essential credit card. Different credit cards are designed for people with different spending habits, so it’s a good idea to make sure you go with a card that matches your specific situation.
First of all, this card is for Canadian residents with an annual income of at least $15,000. Unlike most American Express credit cards, this card doesn’t have strict eligibility requirements. The most important requirement is that you haven’t filed for bankruptcy in the past 7 years. Need help with a previous bankruptcy? Check out my article on how to remove a bankruptcy from your credit report.
Entertainment Access Benefits
If you’re into concerts, theatre productions, restaurants and special events then this card was designed for you. A huge benefit of this card is what AMEX calls American Express Invites™. In a nutshell, this card benefit basically allows you to purchase tickets to events such as concerts before they are available to the general public. It also allows you to purchase Front of the Line tickets and reserved seating. When you apply for the card, they’ll provide you with all the specific details.
Credit card companies always come out with “cardholder benefits” to entice you to sign up, but honestly, this is something I’d probably take advantage of personally. Now let’s get into some more features this card has to offer.
American Express Essential Credit Card Features
- Enjoy a low 8.99% interest rate on purchases
- Have the flexibility to pay your balance in full or over time
- Enjoy a 1.99% interest rate on optional balance transfers in the first 6 months if you choose to transfer your non-American Express card balances to this Card. There is no balance transfer fee at time of application
- Access to memorable experiences with American Express Invites™
- Shopping coverage and 24/7 Customer Service
- American Express is not responsible for main or monitoring the accuracy of information on this website. For full details, current product information and Terms and Conditions, click the Apply now link.
- Conditions apply
The American Express Essential Credit Card is a credit card for Canadian residents. The eligibility requirements are not strict by any means. I believe a good deal of people who apply for this card will get approved. The major benefit of this card is special access to events such as concerts. It’s going to be a good card for anybody looking to build their credit such as those of you just getting out of college.
I would love to know what you think of this card, so please leave a comment telling me about your experience with the card.Get the American Express Essential Credit Card →