Removing An Account After A Divorce and Signed Divorce Decree


What is the best letter I can send to the credit card company to request my name to be removed from an account to where I am the Main cardholder, but due to an divorce and the agreement signed and documented in the courts that my spouse said he would pay for this debt as we divided the debt equally?


Unfortunately there isn’t one. The reason why is that divorce decrees (or any other verbal or written agreement made during the divorce) don’t mean squat when it comes to the credit card company’s ability to sue you for an unpaid debt. The truth is, if your name is on the account, you are liable for it. The divorce decree will not hold up if your ex-husband decides not to pay the account and they sue you.


  1. Avatar NatalieMac February 11, 2009
  2. Avatar Filing Bankruptcy February 16, 2009
  3. Avatar Zona Sarrell May 25, 2011

Leave a Reply